Despite Earlier Rejection, ICM Plans .XXX Domain Reservation

JUPITER, Fla. — ICM Registry, which was unsuccessful in obtaining ICANN Board support for the .XXX sponsored top-level-domain, plans on creating an “industry reservation” period for .XXX domain names despite the rejection, XBIZ has learned.

ICM President Stuart Lawley on Saturday told XBIZ that the registry is hopeful that a reconsideration request to ICANN and a lawsuit targeting two U.S. government agencies will help its mission to govern .XXX.

“We have invested a lot of time and effort into this initiative and are determined to see it through to completion,” he said. “We are hopeful, but of course cannot guarantee, that these efforts will prove successful.”

ICM plans on offering “industry members the opportunity to submit reservation requests free of charge,” Lawley said.

” We are introducing this industry reservation period now for multiple reasons, including to dispel some of the uninformed speculation emanating from certain quarters about how names were to be allocated to industry participants and to ensure we use our resources fully whilst we are in the appeals process with ICANN,” he said.

Lawley said reservations for .XXX domains can be made after 7 A.M. (PST) Monday on its site.

“This gives the members of the online adult entertainment industry a no-cost, no-risk, no-obligation method of applying to secure the rights to their existing domains in .XXX,” he said. “We would urge all members of the community who ultimately wish to register in .XXX, to apply now to reserve the names they want. We are expecting a very large take up of reservations.”

Earlier this month, ICANN’s board, 9-5, rejected ICM’s bid out of “public policy concerns.”

Shortly after, ICM filed a federal lawsuit against the Commerce Department and State Department to release requested documents that are “vital” to influencing ICANN board members.

The company, based in both Jupiter, Fla., and Toronto, began its bid for the adults-only sponsored top-level domain six years ago.

ICM pledges to donate $10 of the proposed annual fee of $60 for a .XXX domain name to child-protection groups and to require users of .XXX to label their content.

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Proposed New Hampshire AV Bill Appears to Violate Constitution

A bill in the New Hampshire state legislature, aimed at requiring adult sites to age-verify users in that state, contains a provision that seemingly contradicts the Supremacy Clause in Article VI of the U.S. Constitution.

AEBN Publishes Report on Fetish Trends

AEBN has published a report on fetish categories from its straight and gay theaters.

Online Child Protection Hearing to Include Federal AV Bill

A House subcommittee will hold a hearing next week on a slate of bills aimed at protecting minors online, including the SCREEN Act, which would make site-based age verification of users seeking to access adult content federal law.

Industry Photographer, 'Payout' Founder Mike B Passes Away

Longtime industry photographer and publisher Michael Bartholomey, known widely as Mike B, passed away Saturday.

FSC Announces 2025 Board of Directors Election Nominees

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has announced the nominees for its 2025 Board of Directors election.

AdultHTML Launches Black Friday Web Design, Development Promo

AdultHTML has launched its annual Black Friday/Cyber Monday promo for web design and development, running through Dec. 5.

Canada Exempts Online Adult Content From 'CanCon' Quotas

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has updated its broadcasting regulatory policies, exempting streaming adult content from “made in Canada” requirements that apply to other online material.

Creator Law Firm 'OnlyFirm' Launches

Entertainment attorney Alex Lonstein has officially launched OnlyFirm.com for creators.

German Court Puts Pornhub, YouPorn 'Network Ban' on Hold

The Administrative Court of Düsseldorf has temporarily blocked the State Media Authority of North Rhine-Westphalia (LfM) from forcing telecom providers to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

FSC: NC Law Invalidating Model Contracts Takes Effect December 1

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has issued a notice that North Carolina's Prevent Exploitation of Women and Minors Act goes into effect on December 1.

Show More